Announcing Wake Up
Wake Up is a community of young Dharma practitioners who want to help their society which is overloaded with intolerance, discrimination, craving, anger and despair.
Their practice is the Five Mindfulness Trainings, ethical guidelines offered by the Buddha; the most concrete practice of true love and compassion, clearly showing the way towards a life in harmony with each other and with the Earth. If you are a young practitioner you are urged to join the Wake Up movement in your country. We may feel anger and frustration when we see the environmental degradation caused by our society and we feel despair because we don’t seem to be strong enough individually to change our way of life. Wake Up offers us a way to pool our energy and act in synchrony. Let us get together and form a Wake Up group in our own town. Our collective practice will surely bring transformation and healing to individuals and society. Let us get in touch with young practitioners from Plum Village, both monastic and lay, to get more support and information.
Together we can discover many concrete ways to help, such as:
- offering guided relaxation sessions to our classmates before exams
- organizing sessions of conflict resolution and reconciliation amongst our friends and within our families
- organizing sessions of sitting, walking and eating meditation with our friends and classmates
- helping our schools and colleges to move towards more mindful consumption (for example contacting organic suppliers or setting up fair-trade vending machines)
- promoting Car Free Days
- facilitating Deep Ecology workshops to help us wake up to the situation of the planet
- creating organic vegetable gardens in our schools, colleges, and urban centres
- using the tools and insights of Buddhism to help friends struggling with addiction and dependency
- working together with local charities to help those in need, and supporting aid projects in the developing world
Members of the Wake Up Community can also organise camps and retreats so that many others, young and less young, can come and share the practice of joyful and mindful living, and so we can all nourish ourselves through contact with nature.
Join us now at http://wkup.org