February 19, 2023 – February 25, 2023 PST
This one week backpacking and hiking trip in Southern California will be based from Deer Park Monastery in Southern California.
Registration is via application and the number of participants is limited. Registration will open sometime early in 2023. Priority will be given on this trip to applicants with previous multi-day point-to-point backpacking experience. A short telephone interview may be conducted to assure that you have the necessary level of backpacking experience.
Proposed Daily Schedule (subject to change)
- 6am Wake up
- 6:30am Sitting Meditation (30mins)
- 7:30am Breakfast
- 8am Break Camp
- 9am Short Dharma Talk (20-30mins) and reading from Touching the Earth
- 9:30am-1pm Mindful Hiking
- 1pm Lunch
- 1:30pm Deep Relaxation/Rest
- 2:00pm-5:00pm Mindful Hiking (impromptu Dharma sharing if there is an appropriate spot)
- 5pm Set Up Camp and Cook Dinner
- 6:00pm Dinner
- 7:30pm Dharma Sharing/Tea Meditation (Formal/Informal) (2-3 groups)
- 9pm Sitting Meditation (15 mins)
Note that REI provides regular backpacking training courses, which meet our basic requirements for backpacking experience.