March 9 – March 13 PST
We hope you are well and happy enough wherever you may be. Here in Deer Park Monastery, we just finished the day where we welcomed our Teacher’s ashes back to the monastery from Vietnam. It was a beautiful ceremony with many auspicious moments offered by Mother Earth and Father Sky, with some blessing hail, caressing light rain and some magical sunshine, clouds and rainbows. Truly our Teacher was present with us for sure. Many of our local Sangha friends came to offer their love and support to the monastic Sangha and to each other. It was truly a heartfelt reunion with no separation.
We write to share some changes to the upcoming retreat, Falling in Love with Mother Earth, March 9-13th, that will undoubtedly affect your plans. The retreat is canceled due to schedule conflicts with our unexpected Memorial Services for our Beloved Teacher that will also happen during that same weekend, March 11-13th. It is an important event in the Vietnamese tradition to commemorate our beloved 49 days after the transition. We especially want to ask for your understanding that we were not able to make this decision sooner.
The weekend March 11-13 will now be organized as a Memorial Weekend Retreat for practitioners to come practice, support and honor our Teacher’s life and love; it is open to the public. Please register if you would like to attend this ASAP since there are limited spaces.
Important Detail Changes:
1. For those who have already registered for the Mother Earth Retreat, here are some additional notes:
- You can choose to cancel your registration and get a full refund.
- Or you may choose to keep the registration and come still on arrival day Wednesday March 9th with the awareness of theme change, an adjusted schedule, and that the primary retreat will start on Friday March 11th.
- All plane ticket cancellation costs will also be reimbursed if you cannot get a refund from the airline.
2. For those registered but not confirmed (no money exchange or expense). We ask that you do not come on Wednesday since the intended retreat has been canceled and to register for the Memorial Weekend Retreat if you wish to come, on a first come first serve basis. Plane ticket cancellation cost refund applies here as well, if you request.
3. All retreatants registered for the online participation will be fully refunded. There will be no online element for the Memorial Weekend Retreat. The retreat is an in-person only event with some activities live-streamed that will be announced.
4. Sunday March 13th will conclude with the main memorial ceremony and will be open for practitioners and friends who want to come to support and honor our Teacher.
Again thank you for your understanding and practice. Please check out our other themed retreats in the coming season and also know that the monastery is also open for general week-long retreats and week-end retreats. Please check our monastery website for the latest calendar of retreats.