September 26 – October 1 PDT
Join us from Sept. 26 to Oct. 1 at Deer Park Monastery for an extraordinary retreat and symposium open to all, merging the timeless teachings of the Buddha with the forefront of scientific inquiry.
The Buddha the Scientist Retreat is a transformative journey into the present moment, empowering scientists and the wider community to cultivate mental stability amidst the multifaceted challenges of our time.
The Buddha, as a true pioneer, ignited a revolution in understanding the mind and body. His teachings offer concrete methods to develop mindfulness, concentration, and insight—an invaluable compass for seekers throughout the ages. Moreover, he embodied a scientific mindset, continually adapting his teachings based on real-life evidence gleaned from his own practice and that of his students.
In this retreat, offered in collaboration with the new Thich Nhat Hanh Center for Mindfulness in Public Health at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, we delve into this intersection of wisdom and scientific inquiry, revealing profound insights and a pathway to a more embodied understanding of our minds.
We will learn how to practice:
- Mindful breathing, walking, eating, speaking, and listening
- Grounding attention in the breath and body to interrupt the torrent of conceptual thinking that perpetuates emotional turbulence, leading to a profound understanding of how our thoughts and perceptions shape our emotional landscape
- Cultivating conscious attention at a collective level, nurturing vitality and the capacity to thrive as a community
- Dissolving the illusion of separation through embodied mindfulness practices
- Engaging in research from a non-dualistic perspective, which extends from the personal to the collective
- Fostering inclusive and holistic approaches to public health through mindfulness practice, transcending regional, national, and global boundaries
- Forging deeper connections and harmonious relationships with others and the Earth
Experience a groundbreaking exploration where ancient wisdom intertwines with scientific inquiry. Amidst the climate emergency, political divisions, conflicts, and social inequities, this retreat helps us cultivate inner stability. Embrace the transformative power of mindfulness and embark on a collective journey to cultivate compassion, understanding, and resilience in the midst of our complex world.
8 responses to “The Buddha the Scientist Retreat: Public Health & Collective Awakening”
Hello. When will registration open for this event?
We hope to do so soon; possibly this week.
Hi, is the tour: the Buddha the Scientist retreat… for Scientist only ? same question with the Healthcare worker retreat. Thanks
Yes, each retreat is open to everyone regardless of background.
Would we be able to bring our 16 month old son as long as parents watch him the whole time? Thanks.
This question is best responded to by our registration office staff. Please email email@example.com
Will any talks be available online or YouTube?
The talks may be available, though perhaps following the retreat. Nothing firm is planned yet.