A New Class for the Rains Retreat
We are happy to offer a new in-person (and online) series of classes, taught by Brother Phap Luu during our annual Rains Retreat, in the Ocean of Peace Meditation Hall—and on our YouTube channel—each Wednesday night at 7:30 pm PST from September 21st through December 14th. We welcome those who are local to the San Diego/Los Angeles area to attend the classes in person, arriving by 7:00 PM to get situated.
This 13-week course covers the growth and development of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh’s comprehensive vision for collective awakening through a selection of his books and teachings. We encourage everyone to read the books—or at least the first section of each book—in preparation for the class.
The tentative topics and books covered in each class are:
- (Sept. 21) The Roots of Thay’s Insight (Part 1): Fragrant Palm Leaves.
- (Sept. 28) The Roots of Thay’s Insight (Part 2): Fragrant Palm Leaves.
- (Oct. 5) The Illness and Trauma of War: Vietnam: Lotus in a Sea of Fire.
- (Oct. 12) How to Act for Humanity: The Miracle of Mindfulness.
- (Oct. 19) Embodying Health: Being Peace.
- (Oct. 26) Global Ethics: Interbeing. Further reading: Mindfulness Survival Kit.
- (Nov 2) Mindful Breathing and Collective Healing: Peace Is Every Step. Further reading: Breathe, You Are Alive! [16 Steps on Mindful Breathing], Transformation and Healing [4 Establishments of Mindfulness], The Path of Emancipation [Detailed teachings on the 16 Steps].
- (Nov. 9) Cultivating a Healthy Mind: Understanding Our Mind. Further reading: Buddha Mind, Buddha Body.
- (Nov. 16) Part 2 of Cultivating a Healthy Mind: Manas and Mind Consciousness
- (Nov. 23) Part 3 of Cultivating a Healthy Mind: Transformation at the Base
(Nov. 23) Overcoming Afflictions: Anger. Further reading: Fear, The Art of Power.
- (Nov. 30) Eating for the Planet: Savor.
- (Dec 7) Happy Teachers Make Happy Students: Happy Teachers Change the World. Further reading: Planting Seeds.
- (Dec 14) Falling In Love with Mother Earth: Love Letter to the Planet. Further reading: Love Letter to the Earth, Zen and the Art of Saving the Planet.
Science and Meditation: The Sun My Heart. Further reading Buddha Mind, Buddha Body. Ultimate Concern: No Death, No Fear.