A New Class for the Rains Retreat
We are happy to offer a new in-person (and online) series of classes, taught by Brother Phap Luu during our annual Rains Retreat, in the Ocean of Peace Meditation Hall—and on our YouTube channel—each Wednesday night from September 21st through December 14th.
This 13-week course covers the growth and development of Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh’s comprehensive vision for collective awakening through a selection of his books and teachings. We encourage everyone to read the books—or at least the first section of each book—in preparation for the class.
Links for each class will be posted on our main home page.
The tentative topics and books covered in each class are:
- (Sept. 21) The Roots of Thay’s Insight: Fragrant Palm Leaves.
- (Sept. 28) The Illness and Trauma of War: Vietnam: Lotus in a Sea of Fire.
- (Oct. 5) How to Act for Humanity: The Miracle of Mindfulness.
- (Oct. 12) Embodying Health: Being Peace.
- (Oct. 19) Global Ethics: Interbeing. Further reading: Mindfulness Survival Kit.
- (Oct. 26) Mindful Breathing and Collective Healing: Peace Is Every Step. Further reading: Breathe, You Are Alive! [16 Steps on Mindful Breathing], Transformation and Healing [4 Establishments of Mindfulness], The Path of Emancipation [Detailed teachings on the 16 Steps].
- (Nov. 2) Cultivating a Healthy Mind: Understanding Our Mind. Further reading: Buddha Mind, Buddha Body.
- (Nov. 9) Overcoming Afflictions: Anger. Further reading: Fear, The Art of Power.
- (Nov. 16) Eating for the Planet: Savor.
- (Nov. 23) Happy Teachers Make Happy Students: Happy Teachers Change the World. Further reading: Planting Seeds.
- (Nov. 30) Falling In Love with Mother Earth: Love Letter to the Planet. Further reading: Love Letter to the Earth, Zen and the Art of Saving the Planet.
- (Dec. 7) Science and Meditation: The Sun My Heart. Further reading Buddha Mind, Buddha Body.
- (Dec. 14) Ultimate Concern: No Death, No Fear.
For those coming in person, please follow our vaccination protocols. For in-person attendance, please be prepared to share your CDC card upon arrival showing complete COVID-19 vaccination. This means that at least 2 weeks will have passed between your second vaccination shot (if you received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine) or your single vaccination shot (if you received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine) and the day you are scheduled to attend.